patron: a person chosen, named, or honored as a special guardian, protector, or supporter.
patronize: to generously offer the type of advice that others would do well to heed.

I'm Dan Buckman. Father. Husband. Teacher. Archetype. If my life and vast experience has taught me one thing, it's how to help others think like me. I will be making observations, taking questions and providing answers, all accompanied by the faint aroma of tweed, Old Spice and gin that offers comfort and continuity in our rapidly changing world.


Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Good Times.


I’m not going to lie to you. I’ve received millions of emails regarding The Patronizer. The vast majority have been supportive – even fawning – but a handful have taken me to task. Specifically my last blog entry (called a blentry) in which I came down a little harsh on someone’s obsession with an iPad.

“You sound like one of those guys who thinks everything was better in the past." one reader responded. "Is it possible you’re just a technophobe? Or afraid of any change you don’t understand?”

Okay. That stung a bit. But I do take comfort that this emailer is utterly wrong. For starters I don’t hate the iPad. I don’t even own an iPad. As a Media Influencer it’s professional courtesy that I receive a complimentary review copy of all first wave technology. If you’re upset that Apple didn’t send me an iPad, call Steve Jobs. Maybe he’ll listen to you.

Secondly, I don’t think everything was better in the past. Quite the contrary. I think the world is a better place today for several reasons. Let me point out a few.


1) Television. Let’s face it, television programming hasn’t gotten much better since 1929 when RCA transmitted images of a Felix the Cat statue rotating on a turntable. But the television viewing experience has recently undergone massive improvements. Today with the 150 hours of free DVR that came with my DISH system (bite me, Comcast), I can pause or even record that Girls Gone Wild commercial while I microwave some frozen tamales from Trader Joe’s. Already I don’t remember life without DVR and I’m sure as hell not going back. Speaking of Trader Joe’s:

2) Trader Joes. I understand how we sent men to the moon and returned them safely. I don’t understand how you can sell a bottle of wine for $2 and a box of corn flakes for even less. Trader Joe’s has revolutionized my breakfast and I salute these grocery pioneers. Speaking of shopping:

3) Costco. If big box stores represent modern blight, then nothing is bigger, boxier or blightier than Costco. Some come to feed their children on free samples. Others come to marvel at the precarious system of scaffolding and inventory that towers above them. I come for the clothes. You may know Costco’s Kirkland brand for its tasty salted peanuts or reasonably reliable car batteries, but I’m a big fan of Kirkland Brand Relaxed Fit Jeans at only $16.99 a pair. I’ve never had a better fitting pair of jeans at twice the price. But here’s the burning question: is it cool to wear Kirkland jeans? Here’s the simple answer: I wear Kirkland jeans.

4) GPS. How do you find your way to Trader Joe’s or Costco? It’s never been easier, thanks to GPS or “Global Positioning Satellites”. I don’t have a problem with directions so I don’t need one, but it’s been a lifesaver for Janeen, who continues to insist that north is straight up. Beyond the Nuvi we put in her car, Janeen also has a GPS app in the cell phone I gave her. This allows me to follow her movements at any time and compare where she’s been with the colorful stories she comes up with when she gets home.

5) Blogs. Any idea how many street corners I had to shout from or people I had to waylay at cocktail parties just to share my insights? Now with a blast of spam traveling at the speed of light, I’m connected to the world. That genie is out of the bottle, people, and we will never be able to shove it back in.

Enjoy!

Useful Links to the Subject

http://www.apple.com

Video Nook

A blog allows you to upload videos you find on the internet.
Here's this week's embedding:

1 comment: